You know I came out here to reflect and basically run away from my family life, love life, and work life but also, I came out to find something else...I'm not entirely sure what yet. I've been so busy though-- I'm not sure how much reflection I've been doing.
But, I think that this blog should focus mostly on the travel aspect. I don't want to put more energy into the negative aspects of my life.
In all honesty, this trip has been an amazing experience and I will never regret my decision to up and leave my life for a moment! I was terrified when I pulled out of my driveway in Waterloo, with Winston in the back, crying as I waved goodbye to my lovely roomie, Jess. I think I was on the verge of a panic attack and calling the whole thing off when I put Elton John in my CD player, turned the volume up, and reminded myself that I was driving towards a new life. Through Toronto traffic and the endless curves of Northern Ontario's painful 90km/hr speed limit I felt a bizarre mix of terror, joy, and freedom. We raced on and made it 3 hours out from Thunder Bay (my original target for the day) in a town called Marathon (appropriate, no?). I pulled into a motel parking lot and rearranged the car so Windor and I would have a tiny piece of trunk to sleep in. When night finally fell, I didn't think I'd sleep at all-- my anxiety was a bit high and the arrangements weren't the most glamourous. So I lay there and listened to my little flower pup growl at the rain and garden beds for a few hours. Finally he climbed onto my feet and we both slept for the night.
Winderella and I down the street from our Waterloo home.
Lunch in Sault St. Marie
Ontario killing it with it's beautiful lakes.
Day 2 took us through more rain, a speeding ticket, and the rest of Ontario! Manitoba gave me open (unwinding roads) and hope that I could actually make this trip without meeting my end. Winston and I quickly passed through Manitoba and made our way into Saskatchewan. My goal was to make it into Regina and, by God, I made it -- though I was pretty convinced that I was going to die. Wanting to chase the sun as long as I could, I kept on pushing my little chevy. As night fell, I had not considered that the forest fires up north would effect me down in Regina, but that was a gross underestimation of smoke's power. In the pitch black of night, me and three cars I had been travelling with drove into smoke thicker than the tension between me and most of my conservative relatives. For 2 hours I white knuckled my steering wheel, turned down the radio so I could see better, and hoped to God no one would rear-end me as I crawled down the unlit highway. Finally, Regina hit my headlights and I pulled into a Sears parking lot. I sat there and thanked my lucky stars I was alive, made camp for the night, and passed out with the smoke falling thickly around me.
Car sleeps with Wimbledon are an adventure in themselves.
On day 3 of my solo travels took me all the way to Grande Prairie and through an emotional roller coaster. The drive wasn't bad but it was long. And I stopped in Grande Prairie to see my ex (for reasons unknown to me-- possibly demon possession). I spent the night in a cabin with my pup and left the next morning feeling a fucked up sort of way. I'll spare you the details on here though.
Winston showing off to friends in GP
My morning view
Sleeping in the park waiting for my ex
Day 4 brought me up through Dawson's Creek and into Fort Nelson. I spent a good part of my evening eating McDonald's in a Walmart parking lot and crying about my life and day. Again, a lot to do with my ex and the fact that I was averaging about 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night while in the car.
Windor is so good in the car-- he mostly just slept
Day 5 was a short day that felt long--and I ended up in Toad River. This is where I illegally camped in my car by some cabins. But, in my defence, it was raining and it was cold and the view around the cottages was amazing. I snuggled down with Winston and texted a few people with the wifi I got from the office every 5 minutes. By this time, my dog was making very poor company, I was going stir crazy, and questioning why the fuck I had decided to take this road trip.
Finally, on Day 6, I made the final trek into Carcross!!! I cannot tell you how excited I was to finally turn onto the Tagish highway and know I was only 45 minutes away! I couldn't find the house for such a long time (the streets and houses are set up in a very different fashion than what I've seen in Ontario). After stopping at the visitor centre and getting directions, I finally pulled into the long driveway. There were people setting up and cleaning tents and canoes everywhere! I parked, got out, and realized I was walking into one of the boy's birthday parties. Needless to say, it was a bit overwhelming, but everyone tried to make me feel welcome and at home. Once people started leaving, I holed up in my room to unpack and decompress from all the people. I still can't believe that two years ago to that day, I was walking out of what would be my worst nightmare and now, I was stepping into this incredible adventure in the most glorious Canadian location I've seen yet.
Not a sign I have to deal with very often.
Going insane being in the car for a week.
I've never been so happy to see a sign.
Winston was pretty happy too
Finally sleeping in a bed again!
ps. I promise my future posts will be less lame but I wanted this one to be an overview and sent just to youuu. I'm also sick and tired so I'm sorry the quality isn't better xox









No comments:
Post a Comment